Secka Forum
lympics of 1988. We had

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Secka Forum // Voorbeeld Forum
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
yyys123

BerichtGeplaatst: 09-07-2019 07:01:11    Onderwerp: lympics of 1988. We had Reageren met citaat
What did it take to get TSN off the ground on day 1?The CRTC granted our license in April of 1984. I had to convince [then-owners] Labatt that we had a business plan that would eventually become profitable. They gave me the green light, and from there, we had four months to build a broadcast centre, to assemble staff, to contract with program suppliers and rights holders, and to put together a program schedule. All of this had to happen in time to sign on the air September 1, 1984 at 12 noon… and somehow, we made it. Our original programming concept was to do eight hours of original programming a day and then repeat it twice. And it was a challenge just to get eight hours of original programming pulled together. We had some Blue Jays rights, we had some Canada Cup and College hockey rights, but we had to assemble all the rest. So in those early days, we introduced some interesting sports – we broadcasted Australian rules football, we had darts, we had snooker, we had a lot of programming that the television audience wasnt used to seeing.What made you choose the name TSN? And what inspired the original TSN branding? Deciding on a name for the network was probably one of the hardest things we had to do. We hired an agency to research names, and they came to us with a long list. We sat down in a boardroom and narrowed it down to 10. Then we got it down to three – which were Action Canada Sports Network, The Sports Network, and one other I dont even remember. Must not have been a strong candidate. The Sports Network was the only one I really liked – it was pre-emptive. It was THE Sports Network, and TSN sounded like a great, short branding opportunity. For the logo, we commissioned an artist who did nothing but design logos. I phoned him after about the weeks of waiting and asked if he had any options for me. We were going to air soon, so I was anxious. He said he had one design for me – just one. With great trepidation I went to his office, and he asked me, Whats the one element thats associated with all sports? Im thinking, its not a ball, its not a stick, its not a sweater with a number... I was going through all these ideas and couldnt come up with anything. He said, "Its a scoreboard." And so he unveiled the logo which featured the three letters, TSN, lit up like a scoreboard. I loved it.Do you remember the first hour of TSN going live to air?I was determined to start the service with the Canadian national anthem. That was the first thing that TSN broadcast – both pictures and audio. TSN has never played the anthem again because since that day, weve never signed off.The first day actually went really well – we did a two-hour documentary on the building of the network, right from getting the license to going on the air. We then went to Halifax for a live Canada Cup hockey game, came back and did our first SportsDesk, which was what SportsCentre was called in those days. At 7 p.m., we went to a live Blue Jays baseball game, came back at 11 p.m. and did our first late-night Sports Desk. Then we all sat down, looked at each other [and said], Well, what are we going to do tomorrow?!What was your proudest moment at TSN?There were many – from the day we first signed on, and numerous others throughout the years. But what Im most proud of is what we did at the Olympics. TSN was the very first cable network in the world to carry Olympic programming. We acquired some rights through the assistance of CTV, interestingly enough, for the Calgary Olympics of 1988. We had a sizeable presence in Calgary and that was a major milestone in the building of TSN for me. Is there a behind-the-scenes story that maybe no one would know that shaped the future of TSN?Yes. Theres one that affected our launch in 1984. We needed programming, as I said before, so I called up one of the senior executives I knew at ESPN and went down to New York to see him. I said, Wed like to buy programming from you, and wed like to extend your network through our network into Canada. They werent terribly anxious to do that. ESPN wanted to come directly into Canada as other networks such as A&E and CNN had done.The day before we launched, on the Friday, I still didnt have a Program Supply Agreement with them, but the draft program schedule was loaded with ESPN programming… and my public relations group had assembled all the press in our boardroom – we were introducing our commentators and our schedule for the first time. I was in my office still talking to ESPN and they were not going to sign an agreement. The press conference was supposed to start at 12 noon, and at 12:30 p.m. I still didnt have a deal made. About quarter to one I said to the ESPN folks, Well look, either way, Im going in that room and announcing that TSN is carrying some ESPN programming. The only thing that we havent agreed on is the price, but well get to that, and Im sure well find some common ground. And they finally said okay.Now, ESPN is a part-owner of TSN and its been a wonderful relationship. Difficult to get, but well worth the struggle. They have been great partners.Do you still think about the future and TSNs place in Canadian broadcasting?Absolutely. We felt like pioneers back when we launched in September of 1984 and I truly believe that we were pioneers. We launched a whole new industry, and its only grown and grown. Im very proud of it.If you could start it all over again is there anything you would do differently? Not a thing. Nike Air Max 97 Ireland . - Diego Fagundez scored his team-leading 13th goal of the season in the 76th minute to lift the Revolution to a 3-2 victory over the Columbus Crew on Saturday night that kept New Englands playoff hopes alive. Nike Air Max 720 Ireland . The 31-year-old, a two-time CFL lineman of the year, was among the most coveted free agents on the market. The Windsor, Ont., native will be especially important to a team that has lost veteran quarterback Anthony Calvillo to retirement and is expected to go with the less experienced Troy Smith and Tanner Marsh this season. http://www.irelandcheapairmax.com/cheap-air-max-tailwind/tailwind-4.html . - The Carolina Panthers believe Steve Smith lost "top-end" speed, a big reason the franchise parted ways with its all-time leading receiver. Nike Air Max Thea Ireland . The Mavericks were not going to let San Antonio beat them with 3-pointers, and they did not want Tony Parker using the lane as his personal playground. Nike Air Max 95 Ireland . Basketball fans around the globe will be watching as Kobe Bryant makes his season debut - 240 days after tearing his left Achilles - against Toronto, a team he has used as his own personal punching bag.MONTREAL - The Montreal Alouettes signed quarterback Collin Klein, linebacker Gary Guyton and defensive back Chris Smith to two-year deals Friday. "We have added three potential impact players today," Alouettes general manager Jim Popp said in a release. "Collin brings tremendous athletic ability and leadership to his position. Gary is a player who we have coveted for a few years, he brings versatility and the ability to play multiple positions at linebacker and at rush end. Chris will walk into the CFL with the ability to be one of the better bump and run corners." Klein played four years with Kansas State University, including the last two as the tteams starting pivot.ddddddddddddSince 2009, he amassed 4,573 passing yards and 2,455 rushing yards with the Wildcats. He was selected as a finalist for the Heisman Trophy after his 2012 college season and was voted the top offensive player in the Big 12 by The Associated Press. Guyton played four seasons with the New England Patriots from 2008 until 2011. He had 229 tackles and three interceptions over 60 games with the NFL club. He has also spent time with the Miami Dolphins, San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys and Tennessee Titans. Smith played three games with the St. Louis Rams in 2011 before joining the Tampa Bay Storm in the Arena League in 2013. Cheap Jerseys China NFL Jerseys Cheap NBA Jerseys Wholesale NHL Jerseys Wholesale MLB Jerseys Cheap Soccer Jerseys China Wholesale NCAA Jerseys Wholesale Football Jerseys Wholesale Basketball Jerseys Wholesale Baseball Jerseys ' ' '
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Secka Forum // Voorbeeld Forum Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: